On the 22nd – 23rd September 2018, the EOS Global Hackathon series took place in London. It is a first-of-its-kind event in the world of blockchain that serves Block.one’s goal of supporting a decentralized global community from the ground up.
With my interest in the financial sector, I registered to this event with an open mind to test my abilities and learn from people attending. This is the second hackathon I attended which was based around blockchain & cryptocurrencies, with my last hackathon being involved around the positive social impact the blockchain can serve.
The event was held at the amazing London Science museum, they held the initial presentation and introduction in the IMAX and the challenge was to be shared on the day. It was to “Create an application on the EOSIO platform that improves the relationship between technology and a user’s privacy or security". Once this was covered the crowd went into a team finding frenzy.
After forming a team we got led to our workstation where this hackathon will take place. We immediately started to ideate, brainstorm and solutionise any potential type of application we could build during this event. Whether it was an IOS or Android app, native web application and/or plug-in…we went crazy with ideas.
After some time… we loosely nailed it down to an application whereby the users can now establish new terms of sharing their health data to corporations like Nike or the NHS who use and have a need for this data. This is made possible by using a ‘smart contract’ on the EOSIO blockchain. The contract will determine the compensation for your data while enabling the user to maintain their security and privacy.
During the solutionising phase, I found it quite hard keep on track with what was being decided so I rounded up the team and I asked that they write down what they needed from me in 3 short bullet points. After gathering these loose requirements I focused on delivering the UI/UX whilst the others focused on preparing from the pitch and attending code workshops.
With my basic requirements listed, I started to ideate different screen designs and started to get the ball rolling. It was quite challenging as the Devs needs some UI to start building a working prototype - another challenging aspect of this was there was no clear visual direction but this gave me the perfect opportunity to design what the app should look like in my eyes. After scanning Google, Apple app store and dribble for some quick inspiration I started to deliver the screens to them.